HSG47 & Cable Location Training
Our courses can be delivered anywhere in the UK
Sygma Solutions Ltd specialise in providing unique buried utility location courses. Courses range from a one day Cable Location Course through to a TSA (The Survey Association) approved, five day Utility Surveyor Course.
We have a proven track record in vastly reducing utility strikes with contractors & utility companies.
We bring to all our courses, unrivalled Utility Surveying knowledge combined with our worldwide experience working with Cable Locator manufacturers.
Our courses are very different to standard Cable Avoidance Courses which are often based around Power & Radio passive use.
Our training provides operatives with the confidence & skills they need to undertake a proper site survey.
Using primarily the Genny, our courses cover many examples and application techniques that operatives had never seen before, to prove how much more success is achieved when the Genny is used correctly.
- Improve operative's awareness of how to avoid damaging buried utilities and operate in a safe, efficient & more cost effective manner.
Course Format – Classroom
- Reasons for using buried pipe & cable locators - Understanding health, safety & financial implications including guidance on how to comply with HSG47 - Avoiding Danger From Underground Services. Other National Legislation & company policy documentation will be discussed. Examples of "getting it wrong" will be demonstrated & discussed.
- Buried Service Plans (STATS) - Operatives will learn how to interpret & understand different types of service plans.
- Electromagnetic Theory - How a pipe & cable locator works, theory & limitations, tips & tricks. A session on "myth busting" will help operatives understand what the equipment can and cannot locate.
- Controls & operation - Correct use of C.A.T4 & Genny4 in all modes, with strong emphasis on Genny use & checking equipment is functioning correctly.
- C.A.T4 - Interpretation of the signal and how to locate service joints, changes of direction/depth. Strike Alert, uses & how to disable.
- Genny4 - Benefits of dual frequency, applications & how to use the Genny to locate small and/or non earthed cables using capacitance. How to effectively earth the Genny4 and different methods including earth positioning. Blind Induction search and effective nulling of services.
- Data Logging - Operatives will learn how to use CAT Manager Software & how to analyse the recorded data - C.A.T4 specific.
Course Format – Site
- Service plans and existing site information will be used to ascertain the indicated routes of buried mains & services, operatives will learn the importance of site visual checks before any work is undertaken.
- Operatives will be trained in the correct use of the equipment in all modes, confirming & locating buried mains & services from the service plans and previous visual inspection, testing & ensuring equipment is in satisfactory operating condition.
- Operatives will learn how to use the Genny4 correctly, in all modes and will understand the benefits of always using the C.A.T & Genny combination including the benefits of the dual frequencies.
- Operatives will learn how to effectively locate "problem" services such as street lighting & small service/comms cables.
- Practical site assessments - all operatives will be assessed on their ability to locate & mark up buried services using all modes. Operatives will be divided into teams of two and set an objective to locate all services in a specific area using STATS plans and equipment.
- Operatives will return to the classroom and sit a multiple choice, written assessment paper, a minimum pass mark of 70% is required. Operatives with dyslexia or reading difficulties will be permitted to sit an aural assessment.